Author Topic: Freedom of Expression  (Read 3904 times)

Ally

• Bite Me!
Freedom of Expression
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:00:22 AM »
Where is the line drawn? Or is there a line at all? Mine is here ROFL!:
There is a REACTION to every ACTION!

RWC

Re: Freedom of Expression
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:15 AM »
Where is the line drawn? Or is there a line at all? Mine is here ROFL!:

Maybe the famous line "Read between the lines" will be of help.  :}*
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:38:35 AM by RoseWhiteCrimson »

RWC

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:45:49 AM »
Here is something on how someone can express her/himself freely: A song from Ronan Keating

"It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
Without saying a word, you can light up the dark
Try as I may I can never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJrEBtmM1Q

Ally

• Bite Me!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:13:32 AM »
Speaking of Ronan Keating here is his version of "If tomorrow never comes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJnVSKTkcE

however, Englebert Humperdinck did the best.
There is a REACTION to every ACTION!

KERSEY

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
I think that the line should be drawn prior to the posting of Ronan Keating songs.

Wolffy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:47:11 AM »
The core foundation of every democracy they say.  But where is the line drawn? What about the constant cursing and usage of verbal abuse on forums? Should there be a line drawn there? I think not. These are part of the freedom of speech. If you desire democracy then learn to live with the consequences that come with having that freedom.

KERSEY

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »
Once you bring "democracy" into it, you alow lines to be drawn, by virtue of it being the common will. If a democracy votes for it, it will be applied.

Personally, there should be no limits on freedom of speech. The slightest limitation makes the term an oxymoron.

Wolffy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 01:55:37 AM »
I could not agree more.  When you say 'Freedom," is it not FREE? Free to say anything without suffering the consequences. However, when it is clumped with democracy it is more like "Freedom of Speech" with provisions. I despise censorship! It should be an individual empowerment to choose what we wish to read and not to read.

KERSEY

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 01:59:50 AM »
It is further evidence of the "we know better than you dummies" as espoused in "Monday, Bloody Monday."

Beside the many ridicules I could make, think about this:

A newspaper edits foul language by use of characters such as "*" (eg "f**k") or "^&*#". Yet EVERYBODY knows the word referred to! Somehow the word that is known is only offensive if printed correctly! Ha!

Not dissimilar to me saying "c88t" here. Who does not know, nor think, of the word I mean?

Censorship protects us? No. Little kids will grow to old age without encountering bad language? For %^&*'s sake! Ha!

Wolffy

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:06:55 AM »
The language is foul and therefore it must be censored! It is not any more foul than let say a sexual act between a man and a woman behind their bedrooms. If such language was so foul and offensive, why not then ban "sex" completely since the word derived from the act of it?

KERSEY

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 02:10:49 AM »
And when we do, tell the man and woman to go from behind their bedroom to actually IN their bedroom.

Technically, sex is banned by the Catholic Church except for the express purpose of procreation. Naturally, even the most devout conveniently ignore this.

So to take our two points together... a religious couple will stridently tut-tut the use of the word "f--k" then go and do such in bed. Which leads, presumably, to the birth of a child from whom such acts and references must remain as secretive as... Fort Knox? lol!

Wolffy

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 02:20:31 AM »
Fort Knox was knockout!

I would be instantly castigated by this and assumed to be such a "prick" in saying this so publicly, but the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church is in fact more repulsive than the work "F**K.

KERSEY

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 02:23:34 AM »
 ;DC ;DC

Music, even if organ inspired, to my ears.

F--K the Catholic Church! And if only the final 2 words were the ones deemed editing, not the noun beginning the sentence.

Wolffy

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 02:30:09 AM »
I think that "religiousity" (made up word) has been exemplary misunderstood by many. Religion has served as refuge to the weak.

KERSEY

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 02:36:15 AM »
Hence it has such a captive audience.

Much as we now laugh at the myths believed by the Greeks and Romans of a couple of thousand years ago (Apollo driving the sun across the sky in his chariot etc) so too will future generations scoff at the belief of "God."